This two-day course empowers business analysts to design, develop, and publish robust Power BI Desktop models. It focuses on import data model design theory and development, and foundational DAX theory and practice.
Attendees learn to:
- Work productively with Power BI Desktop to create import data models
- Use Power Query, DAX, and manually entered data to create model tables
- Configure model relationships
- Enhance model designs with date tables, hierarchies, calculations, and reporting properties
- Publish models, configure dataset properties and data refresh
- Apply DAX to create common and useful model calculations
This course is based on the current offering of Microsoft Power BI, with a focus on business analyst experiences with Power BI Desktop for the Power BI service, or Power BI Report Server.
This course does not cover the basics of the Power BI service, or Power BI report development. These topics are covered in the one-day Power BI for the Business User course, which is considered prerequisite training.
Ideally, attendees have:
- A general knowledge of data storage technologies and formats, including relational databases
- Proficiency with Excel
- Power BI report development skills
Attendees are required to have their own computer that must meet minimum requirements:
- A Windows 7 computer, or later, network-enabled for Internet access
- The latest version of Power BI Desktop, 32- or 64-bit
- A PDF viewer (like Adobe Acrobat Reader, or a web browser)
A classroom delivery includes:
- Instructor presentation and demonstrations
- Course book
- Labs and activities