Power BI for the Developer
This one-day course empowers developers to embed and extend Power BI, and to deliver real-time Power BI dashboards.
Attendees will learn to:
- Embed Power BI analytics, consisting of reports, report visuals, dashboards, dashboards tiles, and the Q&A experience
- Enforce row-level security to deliver the right data to application users
- Work with custom visuals and custom connectors
- Deliver real-time Power BI dashboards, with streaming datasets, the Power BI REST API, and Azure Stream Analytics
This course is based on the current offering of Microsoft Power BI, with a focus on developer experiences with the Power BI service to embed and extend Power BI. This course does not cover Power BI content creation or sharing.
Attendees must have:
- Coding experience, preferably with Visual C#
Attendees are required to have their own computer that must meet minimum requirements:
- A Windows 7 computer, or later, network-enabled for Internet access
- Latest version of Power BI Desktop installed
- Visual Studio installed (2015, 2017 or Community), with web tools (ASP.NET and web development)
- Google Chrome
All attendees will be provided with a trial Power BI account to complete the labs.
A classroom delivery includes:
- Instructor presentation and demonstrations
- Course book
- A New Generation of BI
- Introducing Power BI
- Power BI Roles
- Power BI Licensing
Lab 01A: Creating a Power BI App Workspace
Lab 01B: Preparing Power BI Content
- Introducing Embedded Analytics
- Development Methodology
- Enforcing Row-level Security
Lab 02A: Embedding Power BI Content
Lab 02C: Enforcing Row-Level Security
- Custom Visuals
- Custom Connectors
Lab 03A: Working with Power BI Custom Visuals
- Power BI Real-time Dashboards
- Streaming Datasets
- Pushing Data with the Power BI REST API
- Azure Stream Analytics
Lab 04A: Developing a Real-time Dashboard
This course has not been designed to prepare attendees for Microsoft certification.
Lots of good examples balanced nicely with the theory. Good course.
I'm a developer that found the APIs straightforward to understand and use. Having done this course, I really need to learn more about the Power BI service and how to generate reports.